RE: st: Replacing observations with values from other observations

From   "Pounds, Moses A." <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Replacing observations with values from other observations
Date   Mon, 3 Jun 2013 09:26:52 -0400

Thanks Ryan! Using observation numbers in brackets mostly gets the job done. Unfortunately, there is not a one-to-one correspondence between my obsID variable and Stata's own observation numbers. Accordingly it would make my code easier to write (and for others to later read) if there were some way of using an expression identifying the observation number by criteria (e.g. "if obsID==374474"), in place of Stata's observation number. Does anyone know of a way of doing that?

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Ryan Stevens
Sent: Friday, May 31, 2013 4:42 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: Replacing observations with values from other observations

Moses,

To reference observations in Stata you use [#] after your variable, so observation number 6 for var1 can be accessed as var1[6]. Now you have to remember your obsID variable and the observation number according to Stata may be different. So your code could look like:

replace var1 = var1[6] if obsID==5

This replaces the var1 with the value of var1 at Stata observation 6 if obsID==5. Now this could all be simplified if obsID matches Stata's observation numbers. If there is a one-to-one mapping of obsID to Stata's observation numbering you can do this as

replace var1 = var1[6] in 5

This replaces the value of observation 6 at observation 5.

Ryan