st: Re: length of a string

From   Kit Baum <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re: length of a string
Date   Mon, 4 Feb 2008 06:09:16 -0500

As -help limits- shows, a macro can contain at least 165,000 characters. So pull the string variables' contents into a local macro and write them out with the -file- command.

. local one = string1[1]

. di "`one'"
I need to generate a string variable based on the values of another ones, but the length of
> a string is limited to 244 characters (the resulting variable has to have more than 244
> characters). Who knows, what can I do?

. local two = string2[1]

. di "`two'"
I NEED TO GENERATE A STRING VARIABLE BASED ON THE VALUES OF ANOTHER ONES, BUT THE LENGTH OF
> A STRING IS LIMITED TO 244 CHARACTERS (THE RESULTING VARIABLE HAS TO HAVE MORE THAN 244
> CHARACTERS). WHO KNOWS, WHAT CAN I DO?

. local both `one' `two'

. di "`both'"
I need to generate a string variable based on the values of another ones, but the length of
> a string is limited to 244 characters (the resulting variable has to have more than 244
> characters). Who knows, what can I do? I NEED TO GENERATE A STRING VARIABLE BASED ON THE
> VALUES OF ANOTHER ONES, BUT THE LENGTH OF A STRING IS LIMITED TO 244 CHARACTERS (THE RESU
> LTING VARIABLE HAS TO HAVE MORE THAN 244 CHARACTERS). WHO KNOWS, WHAT CAN I DO?

Note that local both is longer than 244. You can now write it to an external file with the file command.

Kit

http://ideas.repec.org/e/pba1.html