st: parametric or non-parametric

From   Jen McCormick <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: parametric or non-parametric
Date   Fri, 24 Aug 2007 09:37:58 -0700

I have a question regarding using parametric versus non-parametric analyses.
A colleague and I conducted a national survey (n=845). Much of our data are from Likert-scale based questions. We have been exploring the options for analysis and have found some differences of opinion in the literature on whether parametric methods should be used with these kind of data (versus nonparametric). My question is whether anyone has had experience analyzing Likert scale data (5 point, anchored scale) using parametric methods and how you transformed the data to correct for non-normal distribution.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or references.

Jen
*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/