RE: st: Standard error of the estimate for svy: reg

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Standard error of the estimate for svy: reg
Date   Wed, 22 Aug 2007 16:09:58 +0100

Well, the root mean square is best not
described as an "average". It is evidently
a kind of average, but a more precise description
is easy enough.

After a model you can use -predict- to get at residuals
and then run -summarize- (and anything else
needed) to get whatever summary measures you want.

Essentially the same issue for -glm- is
addressed by -glmcorr- on SSC.

Apart from doing it by hand, most of the code
in -glmcorr- might be used for your problem.

However, a much bigger question is this: Why did the
writers of -svy: reg- not provide this? Perhaps
they were queasy about what summary measure(s)
are justifiable in a -svy:- context. I don't
know, but that's what you need to worry about.

Richard Forshee

> Steven, this measure is also called the root mean squared
> error (which is
> reported in the -reg- command but not in the -svy: reg-
> command), and it
> measures the average deviation of a predicted value from the
> actual observed
> value in the sample.

Steven Samuels

> I don't have access to this journal.  My question: standard error of
> WHAT estimate?

Richard Forshee